Special Note on Judging for Breast Cancer Awareness. Since Breast Cancer Awareness Month occurs in October, projects may be reported as plans by July.
Six copies of the project as completed must be brought to convention to be distributed to judges.
- Relay for Life - Held in conjunction with the American Cancer Society. Organize a 24-hour relay for your community. Relays have been very successful in raising large sums for research.
- National Denim Day October 10 - Lee Jeans will make a contribution for breast cancer research for each person wearing denim to work. Contact local businesses and industries about sponsoring a day for their employees.
- Breast Health Awareness Bingo Game is also known as "Lottery." Educational cards are held up for Bingo spots. Health messages are read with each spot. Prizes are provided by the Alliance/alliance. Contact American Cancer Society.
- Speakers for civic clubs - Sponsor health professionals as speakers for women's clubs, AARP, church groups, etc. Provide educational materials and breast models. Encourage breast self-exams and mammograms.
- Educational programs for high schools teen-age girls need to learn about breast self-exam. Sponsor speakers and/or videos, provide materials and breast models.
- Pink Ribbon Promotions - Avon Cosmetic Company sells pink ribbon jewelry with proceeds going to research. Encourage Alliance members and families to wear ribbons.
- Displays and information booths
- Health Centers and Gyms
- Grocery Stores
- Provide educational materials, videos. Pass out pink ribbons.
- Physicians offices provide educational materials to be distributed.
- Beauty salons educate cosmetologists about breast self-exam and the importance of mammograms. Encourage them to educate clients.
- Billboards encourage mammograms.
- Free or reduced cost mammograms sponsor mammograms for women in underserved population.
- Buddy check programs offer buddy check kits to the public. Women team in pairs reminding each other to do monthly breast self-exams.
- Fashion shows sponsor a style show with breast cancer survivors as models. Distribute materials and pin pink ribbons.
- Media the media is very willing to cover projects. Arrange for health professionals to be interviewed by local TV, radio, and newspaper.